Transylvania County Schools welcomes applications from individuals who are interested in becoming substitute teachers. Please follow the procedures below to file an application for substitute teaching.
- Submit an online employment application by visiting our application portal at http://www.applitrack.com/tcsnc/onlineapp/. Choose "Substitute Teacher" from the list of available vacancies and then click "Apply" to begin your online employment application.
- Download and complete a background search release form, a health examination certificate, an employment eligibility verification form, a federal tax withholding form, and a state tax withholding form.
- After you have downloaded and completed each of these forms, you may EITHER attach them to your online employment application (preferred) OR contact Kelly Clark at the Morris Education Center to schedule an appointment to deliver those materials.
- When the results of your criminal records check are returned to the Morris Education Center, the employment references you listed on your substitute teaching application will be checked.
- If you are selected for employment as a substitute teacher, you will be contacted with an appointment to complete a short substitute teacher orientation session.
- Upon completion of the orientation session and approval by the Transylvania County Board of Education, you may begin substitute teaching.
Substitute Teacher Handbook
Transylvania County Schools' Substitute Teacher Handbook, published by the Office of Human Resources, is regularly updated to reflect current rules, procedures, resources, and information for the district's substitute teachers.
Like all employees of the school system, substitute teachers are expected to engage in ongoing professional development. Substitute teachers who do not hold a teaching license issued by a state licensing agency must complete Effective Teacher Training, available through local community colleges, within the first year of their employment. All substitute teachers must participate in a one-day summer workshop each year.